Here at Pretty Simple I will only post projects and recipes that are… pretty simple to make. Confession time: when I made my first batch of DIY bath bombs I thought, “This is a mess!” I got baking soda and cornstarch all over my bathroom. I stained my white counter (and hands) a beautiful shade of light pink.
Then I learned from my mistakes, tried again, and realized with a few changes it’s actually not that messy. And that they are pretty simple (and pretty fabulous) to make after all. Of course, they also make great gifts. You could pair evn them with this DIY Lotion to Fall Asleep Quick.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED for DIY Bath Bombs
- 1 cup of baking soda
- ½ cup citric acid
- ½ cup corn starch
- essential oils of choice
- food coloring (optional…and I mean optional. I stopped using it.)
- muffin pan (I used silicone)
- witch hazel in a spray bottle
- 2 TBS coconut oil (optional)
- 2 TBS epsom salts (optional)
- 1 tsp Vanilla (optional)
How to Make DIY Bath Bombs
- Whisk together all dry ingredients.
- If you want to make different colors/scents divide the contents of your bowl into two or three bowls. (Tip: It’s a heck of a lot easier to do the same batch all at once.)
- Add essential oils. This one I made with Lavender, but rose and eucalyptus are my other two favorites.
- Add in food coloring. ( If making for a gift, go ahead and use colors. If making for your own enjoyment just stick with white. Trust me on this. My bathroom sink was a rainbow mess the first time I made these.)
- Alternative between spraying witch hazel and stirring. If you put too much liquid in too quickly it will cause a premature reaction and you will get bumpy muffin-top bath bombs. Nobody wants that. Slow and steady with the witch hazel.
- Spray until you can pack it in a mold, but not any wetter. Then pack it in.
- Wait at least 8 hours before trying to take out. If using silicone, gently pop out. If using a muffin pan, flip upside down and gently tap until they fall out easily.
Oh, and when you’re done enjoying your bath, make these DIY lotion bars for even softer skin.