As I’ve been scrolling through Pinterest lately I keep seeing more on the wonderful benefits of turmeric. Many were for DIY masks, while others for something called turmeric milk. Now you and I may know turmeric as the main ingredient in curry, but it’s been shown it also spices things up in the health department.
Drink To Your Health with Turmeric Milk
- Been shown to cure heartburn and indigestion
- Prevent heart attacks
- Fights cancer
- Fights Depression
- Boosts immunity (Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory)
- Full of antioxidants
After all that I knew I had to buy some and see for myself if turmeric lived up to the hype. Eventually I am going to experiment with the facial masks, but I’ve had a hankering for a hot chocolate substitute lately and decided to test this turmeric milk everyone kept writing about, or as one blogger put it, the Golden Elixir.
Note: I was initially worried about the taste because I’m not a huge fan of curry, but I had nothing to worry about. It was DELICIOUS. Like hot Chocolate’s more Pumpkin-like, gingery cousin. I’ve yet to try out this famous Pumpkin Spice Latte but in my imagination, it takes like that. Also, since this drink contains no caffeine it’s safe to drink right before bed.
So here we go!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 cups milk of choice (I used vanilla cashew, but any kind will work)
- 1 tablespoon honey (natural sugar is best, but you could always buy a sweetened nut milk too and use less honey)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of black pepper *
**The pepper is odd, but necessary. Doctors smarter than I am found out that our bodies are able to absorb the healthy properties of turmeric better with the assistance of a little black pepper.)
- Pour all into a small saucepan, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil immediately turn the heat down to simmer and let it do its work for 15-20 minutes. (During my first batch I left to go move my laundry from the washer to the dryer and the whole thing boiled over. Don’t be like me.)
- Enjoy. And trust me, you will!
And since you’re a health conscious person, you might also like this post from Happily the Hicks on Must Have Running Gear for Your Half Marathon.