Raise your hand if you like dry brittle hair? Didn’t think so. The good news is I’m coming at you today with one to restore moisture to your tired locks and even give your hair a shine boost! I call it my DIY Pre-shampoo Avocado Hair Mask.
Why pre-shampoo? Couple of reasons. First, you won’t have to stand in the shower waiting for it to work. And second, everyone’s hair is different so a pre-shampoo allows you to make sure you can properly wash the mask out with no residue left.
DIY Pre-Shampoo Avocado Hair Mask
What You Will Need:
- 1/2 of a ripe avocado OR 3 TBS avocado butter*
- 1 TBS Castor Oil
- 2 teaspoons almond oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- OPTIONAL: 1 tsp coconut oil ONLY if you have seriously dry hair. I would not recommend it for fine or thin hair.
- 10-15 drops rosemary essential oil
* I buy mine on amazon because it lasts longer than a real avocado, but a real avocado tends to need fewer washes to rinse away PLUS you can pick it up in the grocery store.
Benefits of Each Ingredient:
Rosemary essential oil – adds shine to your hair, promotes hair growth, prevents thinning, treats dandruff, itchiness, scalp irritation and oil skin.
Avocado: Since it is one of a small number of plant oils that contain protein it can help rebuild your hair. It also delivers mositure without an oily residue.
Castor Oil: soothes the scalp and promotes healthy strong hair
Castor oil: Helps promote hair growth
Coconut oil: deep conditioner – OPTIONAL
Steps to make DIY Pre-Shampoo Avocado Hair Mask:
**These steps are if you are using the avocado butter. If using a FRESH AVOCADO just mash all the ingredients together**
- Put all the ingredients except the essential oils into either a microwavable dish or in a melting dish on top of a pot of hot water. If using the microwave, heat in 30 second intervals until completely melted.
- Add essential oil.
- Transfer mixture to mixing bowl.Note: I used a plastic one that I use for all my beauty DIYs because the oil ingredients tend to ruin my good ones.
- Get out your blender and blend that baby until nice and creamy. It will thicken up slightly, but mostly turn into a nice thick, greenish cream.
How to Use the DIY Pre-Shampoo Avocado Hair Mask
- Spray hair with warm/hot water until wet but not dripping.
- Start with a quarter-sized about of cream and rub into ends first, working your way up. I’d suggest not going higher than your ears.
- Wrap a shower cap, or even plastic bag around your head and blast it with a hair dryer. (Don’t worry if your husband starts calling you “baghead” like mine did – just tell him how amazing your hair will look after)
- Leave on for 20-30 minutes.
- Shampoo out and follow up with a little bit of regular conditioner on the ends.
**If you used a real avocado you will need to use the entire batch up right away. Otherwise, you’re hair mask made with the avocado butter should last several months.
Please try out on a weekend where you are not going somewhere important first. Everyone’s hair is different. For some people this may wash out easily, but for others it may take several shampoos in the shower to not look greasy afterwards.
And if you’re looking for a lighter alternative you might want to try my DIY Washed Ghee.