When I was in college, I spent my summers cleaning bathrooms at the KOA Campground in Niagara Falls. The money was great but the THINGS I SAW (and had to clean) should never be shared. Needless to say, I became somewhat of a neat freak after that job. I came to appreciate organization, cleaning routines, and a job well done. My skin, however, took a major beating from all the chemical-filled cleaners we used. These days I am older and wiser and only use natural, chemical-free or homemade products to clean my home. Not only does it save me money, but my skin appreciates it, too. This week I am releasing one of my secret cleaners from the vault – my DIY All-Purpose Cleaner that I know you will love, too.
Not only does this magic concoction cut through grease, grime and dirt, but it is relatively inexpensive. I can also whip it up in about 10 seconds. Take that Amazon two-day delivery! (I still love you, though.)
Now, I am not bashing store-bought products. There are some truly great ones out there, many of which I use. But, I love the fact that I can make my own cleaner on the cheap to use in the kitchen, bathroom, living room, furniture, electronics, and the like. It can go anywhere and everywhere! Plus, I do not have to worry about me, my family or my cat breathing in harmful fumes.
And harmful chemicals are no joke. Scientists at the University of Bergen found that cleaning the “house is as bad for women’s lungs as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day.”
Wait, for real? For real.
According to the article, after studying the lungs of over 6,000 women and men the researchers found that a, “variety of potential irritants to the lungs are found in domestic products – including bleach and ammonia.”
The researchers themselves added, “Women cleaning at home or working as occupational cleaners had accelerated decline in lung function, suggesting that exposures related to cleaning activities may constitute a risk to long-term respiratory health.”
I’d add that they DID NOT find the same decline in men’s lungs. What are we to do? Leave all the cleaning to our husbands!
Now, after we have a good laugh, the real solution is to be more conscious about what products we use to clean our homes. For me, the fact that chemical-cleaners caused me to break out was enough without the added risk of lung issues. And like I said, the good news is there are tons of great chemical-free products on the market now, and it’s even easier to make your own.
And now friends, it’s time to collect our ingredients and make the cleaner.
DIY All-Purpose Cleaner
What You Will Need:
- Glass Spray Bottle*
- 2 Cups Distilled Water
- 2 Cups White Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon natural dishsoap (Not castile!)**
- 20 Drops Thieves Essential Oil or Deep Clean from Youngevity
- 10 Drops Lemon Essential Oil
Shake well before each use!
So, you may have noticed a few asterisks.
*First, you should probably use a glass bottle because it preserves the essential oils better.
**Second, as much as I love castile soap, it makes this spray a little gummy. Instead, I use a very simple dish soap called better life, but you can use anything as long as it is free and clear of chemicals and castile soap.
How to Use DIY All-Purpose Cleaner
- ) After removing crumbs, or VERY stuck on gunk, simply spray on surface and wipe clean. It cleans, it disinfects, it shines.
- ) If area is very soiled you can spray again. I usually only need to do once because I follow the step above.
- ) If area is SUPER soiled, spray and leave on a few minutes. Then spray again and wipe clean.
Enjoy your clean & sparkling new surfaces!
Do you make your own DIY Cleaner? What’s in it?