Knowing my love of books and all things DIY, my then-boyfriend (now husband) came up with the great idea – with a little help from the Art of Manliness – to make a book clock. It’s so simple. It’s so practical! I do not like to waste time making things that do not serve a purpose and this craft has both beauty and functionality. In just a few minutes you can make a unique piece for your desk or a creative gift for friends and family.
- Hard-covered book – I chose “Sense and Sensibility” because I thought it would be fitting if I ended up placing the clock on my desk at work. The book must be hard-covered so it can stand on its own. The size and color are up to you.
- Clock kit – Buy it from Amazon
- Clock numbers – $2.99
- X-Acto Knife
- Power Drill
1. Choose where the clock face will go and maybe even draw a few markers with pencil for later when attaching your numbers.
2. Drill your hole for the center of your clock. You may have to experiment with drill sizes and drill through several times to make sure the stick part of your clock mechanism fits through.
- Place the “stick” through the hole so the clock mechanism with the battery is flush with the book.
- Cut out the inside of the book with the X-Acto Knife where the battery will go. It’s suggested you trace the clock mechanism and then just start cutting away. Full disclose – I did not do this step and therefore have no photo to show. I haven’t been able to cut into a book that I could still read down the line! Don’t be like me. Cut the book and make your clock more awesome looking.
- Place your numbers on the front of the book.
- . Place the clock hands on the clock “stick”, following the instructions on the packaging.
- Proudly display your awesome new book clock!
I included this DIY on my Last Minute DIY Christmas gifts for everyone on your list post. Check out what else I recommend!